This is DELICIOUS!
3 organic potatoes (yellow or white)
1 large sweet potato
1 cup flour (I used gluten-free baking mix)
3 egg yolks
1 tablespoon salt (my gluten-free mix had salt so omit if yours has salt)
1/2 cup butter- room temperature
1/2 cup olive oil
2-3 slices bacon- fried crisp (save grease)
2 small shallots-diced
1 cup chicken stock
6 large sage leaves- chopped
1/3 cup crushed walnuts (more or less to taste)
1/4 cup of fresh parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Bake potatoes 400 degrees 60 minutes. Take skin off and mash in large bowl.
2. Add 1/4 cup butter, flour, egg yolks and salt and mix well.
3. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil.
4. Roll dough into balls. If you’re using gluten-free flour like I did, good luck–it’s really sticky. Other flours make perfect little balls, not so with gluten-free. Keep flour on your hands as your roll into balls. You’ll have to continue added flour in your hands the whole time. The dough is sticky. After you have 15 balls rolled, gently submerge into boiling water. Boil for 4 minutes or until they float to top and seem somewhat firm. With slotted spoon take each one out individually. Set on a plate. Roll you next set. This is a little time-consuming.
5. Fry bacon- set bacon aside. Keep grease in pan, fry chopped shallots in the grease. Add 1/4 cup of olive oil. Turn the heat up to high. Add chicken broth. Reduce to one-third. Add 1/4 cup butter and chopped fresh sage.
6. Empty into a bowl and set aside.
7. Wipe frying pan clean. Heat 1/4 cup of olive oil to medium high in pan. Once high add the gnocchi. Don’t let them touch each other. Fry until brown on the bottom then flip. Fry until brown on that side then take out. Fry your next batch until all gnocchi are fried.
8. Put all fried gnocchi back into hot pan. Add reduced chicken broth. Stir lightly and then top with crushed walnuts and fresh parmesan cheese. YUM!
Serve with fresh salad and garlic infused pork or chicken.