How to Make Curds and Whey

Pour fresh raw milk into a clean jar. Put top on loosely. Let sit for 3-4 days in72-78 degree room. When The curds and whey separate it is time to process. This jar is ready to process.

Raw milk has all 8 of the essential amino acids our body requires. It also has two players in antibiotic protein/enzyme arsenals, lysozyme and lactoperoxidase. These two work together to get rid of undesirable bacteria and unwanted microbes.

When milk is heated(pasteurized) many of the super abilities of the milk are lost. You must read, The Health Benefits of Raw Milk www.raw-milk-facts.com/raw_milk_health_benefits.html Raw milk is life to the body.

Now let’s take raw milk and supercharge it more; Leave unpasteurized(raw) or partially pasteurized milk out on the counter for several days in warm temperatures(72-78 degrees) and you get–curds and whey the super food hero’s.  Whey is the golden clear liquid known throughout the centuries as “healing water.”  Whey from fully fermented milk no longer contains lactose, and is  full of probiotic organisms (good bacteria) that helps repair intestinal walls and a host of other healing properties. A blog post is too short to expound on the priceless commodities of whey.

Whey also contains  enzymes, minerals and vitamins to restore life and energy. I put a couple of tablespoons of whey in fruits and vegetables in the  fermentation process like sauerkraut, preserved lemons, grape leaves, carrots, beets. . .the list goes on. I have the recipes for preserved lemons and sauerkraut under recipes. I also use a whey mixture in soaking grains, beans etc.

If we’ve been exposed to sickness we take a couple of tablespoons at each meal. If any intestinal issues arise, whey is always the remedy.

The Bible says in Isaiah 7:15 that Jesus would eat curds and honey so that he would know to refuse evil and choose good. If Jesus Christ who is fully God and fully man needs to eat curds and honey, I need it more! Isaiah 7:22 is another great reference to curds and whey.

If you watched my milking goat video I mentioned that in the 1300′s millions (estimated 100-200 million) of people died of the Bubonic Plague, the only people not dying were the Jews. The Jews didn’t get the Bubonic Plague because they were eating biblically correct, they were eating fermented foods, like curds and whey and raw honey.

Whey last  over 6 months in the refrigerator. Many of the fermented foods listed above will last more than 6 months when preserved in whey. It’s incredible the health benefits.

The curds are chock full of nutrients just like the whey. They are the solid part and resemble a soft to firm cream cheese. They only  last a month in the refrigerator. If they ever discolor, throw it out. Depending on what the temperature was in your kitchen will depend on whether the curds are dry or soft. Sometimes when the whey and curds separate the curds are firm other times soft.

If the curds are soft you can use it like cream cheese and put it on your toast or use in recipes where cream cheese would have been used. If the curds are firm, use like feta cheese. For the cream cheese consistency you can add chives and garlic and it taste like Boursin cheese! After the curds are poured into a strainer you can continue to strain until very dry and it crumbles just like feta. Delicious in salads, middle eastern dishes and omelets, etc.

Once in a while the temperature in the kitchen doesn’t stay warm enough and the whey and curds don’t separate fully. You can use this as  sour cream or buttermilk in baking. Whey is never milky looking, if yours didn’t separate perfectly it is almost always that it wasn’t consistently warm enough. If it is just buttermilk looking use it in baking recipes.  I use it in our pancake batter, cakes and all my baked goods. When your house is too cool  you could use a heating blanket under the jar to keep it warm. If your house is too hot and you don’t have air conditioning you’ll have to wait for spring and fall to make it. I try to make enough in the spring and fall to last a long time.

(If you don’t have access to raw/unpasteurized milk you can make whey from store bought organic  plain whole milk yogurt. It is not as beneficial for your health but you can use it in making fermented vegetables, etc. Strain yogurt through cheesecloth. The liquid part is the whey. The solid left is more dry now than yogurt, use as cream cheese)

Put cheese cloth or thin cotton material over another clean jar. Start to pour the mixture carefully over the clothe. The whey (the liquid part came out first this time out) Now I’m scooping curds out of jar.

Straining the curds for a day. Curds stay in the strainer over a bowl to catch any drippings of leftover whey. I cover the top of the strainer and leave in refrigerator. When finished draining, the curds are firm, I break it up and I use as crumbled cheese in dishes. Looks like feta, taste milder than feta in the store.

The curds in the strainer are firm. Sometimes you’ll have one big clop of firm curds and the rest whey. That’s the easiest batches you make. Sometimes you’ll have firm curds mixed in to softer curds, the curds in the yellow cup are are soft, the consistency of thick sour cream, the jar in the background is the whey.

This is a perfect jar of whey. After it settles for a couple hours it will be a little less cloudy, a little clearer.  After you’ve separated the curds out of the whey a perfect jar of whey won’t have curds floating in it. If it has curds left in, it will shorten the life of the whey. If you are using whey to make fermented vegetables or fruit only use the purest whey–meaning no curds in it.

Here is another set of curds and whey being made. I have a thermometer in the room to keep me informed of the temperature. This set actually didn’t turn out right. I was disappointed whey I saw the middle jar getting yellow coloration on top of curds. Sometimes that happens–either the temp gets too hot or too cold.

The temperature was a constant 72-78 degrees the first 2 days, then the temperature changed drastically and ruined my curds and whey.

Yellow color is on top, I don’t like that when using goat milk. Using cow milk you may have yellow on top from the heavy cream separation. Goat milk rarely gets yellow on top. I throw it away if it has yellow, pink, green or any weird color on or in it. 99% of the time you won’t see an unusual color. Perfect curds are always a white color. This batch also didn’t separate, and it had a different smell than usual, it just didn’t do anything right.

If you have questions, leave a comment. I’ll answer anything I can. I’ve made hundreds of batches of curds and whey, but in the beginning I had a lot questions but no one to answer them! I would love to help you get healthy. Make sure all your jars, spoons etc are clean.

Comments

1. Brenda P says:

Hi Sharon, what is the difference between making curds and whey, and clabbering the milk? I saw something where milk was being clabbered to feed animals like chickens, and family pets. If my curds are discolored could I use still use them for the animals.? I have heard that raw milk never really “goes bad”, but just changes form for a different use.

• Clabbering milk takes less days to culture, usually 2 days. It’s the product before curds and whey. Leave it our for another day or two and it starts to separate more, producing curds and whey.

If the milk is still mostly white when shaken, and has turned thick, it is done clabbering. It is a thick consistency, sometimes a little chunky. You NEVER shake the jar if you’re making curds and whey. You want them to make a nice perfect separation.

Use your clabbered milk in place of yogurt or buttermilk in any baking recipe or soaking sprouts.

2. Brittanny says:

Hi Sharon!

Thank you or this post! This may be elementary but was this raw milk Goat’s milk? Or does it have to be from a cow to make curds and whey? I don’t have a goat or a cow but there are really great health food stores here locally that supply this and I’m dying to try it!

Thanks!

Brittanny

• You are welcome Brittany! I used goat but you an use either. The reason we got goats instead of cows is they’re easier to manage. The health benefits are the same and so are all the recipes in using raw milk. The only milk product that would ever be different is making butter, butter is more difficult to make with goat milk.

3. Karen Phillips says:

Hi Sharon

Thank you for your website. It is the first site I have found that explained possible problems that can be encountered when making curds and whey.

I just attempted to make my first batch of curds and whey. I used raw cows milk. I live in Texas and it has been warm. My house stays around 73 degrees in the day and 68 degrees at night. I set a glass quart jar on the counter and left it for 5 days. It never separated. It started smelling bad and had brownish yellow spots growing on the top of it. The cream layer was on top but I never saw a clear liquid and curds form. It just looked like regular white milk all through the jar. What did I do wrong?

I have been making raw milk kefir (with kefir grains) for about one month now. I read somewhere that it is easier to make curds and whey from kefir. Is this true? I was interested in trying it with kefir since my plain raw milk didn’t turn out well.

Any advise or thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated. I really want to learn how to make the whey because I want to make my own kimchi and beet kvass with it. Thank you for your willingness to help.

Sincerely,
    Karen Phillips

• Hi Karen,

Making curds and whey is simple when the temperatures are ideal. I’ve had the most success when the temperature in the house stay above 73 consistently. If it goes below that, problems happen more regularly. I am almost 100% successful when the temperatures are even higher than I wrote in the article. For example if the daytime temp in my house is 83 in the day and 73 to 75 at night the whey and curds separate quickly and perfectly in three days, sometimes at the end of the second day. So, it is easiest to get those temp’s here in VA in late spring and fall without an airconditioner on. You can of course regulate your house to be those temperatures.

I never let my batch sit on the counter over 4 days. By then, it is what it is, curds and whey, or creamy curds not separated or a flop not thickened, unusual color and maybe odor.

Try it again! Any question you have- throw it at me. I’ve experienced everything you can making curds and whey, at least I think:).

It is more than worth the effort to learn it. Health and life are worth it!

Blessings,

Sharon Glasgow

4. Jennifer Clasman says:

Hello and thank you for this website and blog. I tried making my first batch of curds and whey with goats milk. I know my house was too cool, 68 degrees. After 5 days there was cream on the top but still white in color. I figured I’d better try to make it and dumped the cream and some liquid. The whey is still very white. Is it considered whey? Or is it not separated enough? I left the other white liquid in the jar and put it on the stove over night. I have nuts in the oven at 150 so it’s warmer on the stove. Plus I have a stock simmering in the front. My hope is the milk will separate still. It doesn’t smell bad yet. Actually sort of sweet. I guess my question is if the white liquid drained from the cream is whey?
    Thank you for your time and your blog.
    Jennifer Clasman
    Northern Michigan

• Hi Jennifer,

At the 5 day point if it hasn’t separated- it’s not going to. You’re right, the temperature was just too cool. Next time you may want to try putting a heating pad under it to keep it warmer. If temperatures are right it separates on the 3 or 4th day. If it didn’t get a strange color or smell and it’s a little thick you would call it thick buttermilk. I use that in my cooking, like pancake batter. Replace the milk with the buttermilk.

Whey is semi- clear-ish liquid after it settles. Sounds like it wanted to be whey but didn’t quite make it.

Blessings,

Sharon

5. The closest thing I can get to raw milk is from a store (I do know one close to me that sells raw cow and goat milk). It has already been refrigerated at that point, but can it still be used to make the curds and whey?

6. Barry Mc Dermott says:

Hi Sharon and thank you for your post. I set out to make whey using Raw Milk unaware that the ambient temperature in my house was too low. For the first two days the temperature was in the low sixties but on day three I moved the jar to another room that was about seventy degrees. The biggest mistake i made was on the night of the fourth day, I brought the jar back to the kitchen to strain but i thought I would give it some more time to separate because of the low temperatures early on. I placed it on a tea towel beside one of the heating vents on the floor to keep it above the low sixties in my kitchen. When I picked it up the following morning it didn’t look right. The temperature on the towel was in the eighties. There was separation but the whey seemed to have turned to yogurt and there was a dark line between the whey and the yellowish curd on top. It did smell a little sweet but not bad so i have the mixture straining, very slowly, right now. So my questions are, do you think it has gone bad and is there anything i can use it for?

Thanks for any help you can give me

• Hi Barry,I’m on a plane and just about to take off. My comments will be short. I don’t like the sound of a dark line? Hmm, I’ve made hundreds and hundreds of batches and not seen a dark line between. I would have to see it. Also, for future you could putting a heating pad under it on low. Our heat is set on 50 in our home but I put our curd and whey near the wood-stove. A heat lamp works too. Spring is coming! House temperatures will start rising and that helps! Hope this helped somewhat!

Blessings, Sharon

7. Sherry says:

Hi Sharon, I have a goat that I am milking, and have only attempted once to make curds and whey. I used milk that had been refrigerated a couple days. It separated, but there was some yellow starting to form on top. So, we threw it out. Is it ok to use milk that is still warm, or should I start from cold milk?

• That’s a great question Sherry. I’ve always started with cold milk for some reason. I ALWAYS use the freshest milk. I never use milk that’s 5 days old. A couple of days should be fine. The only reason why it could discolor is room temperature or you let it sit out for longer than necessary. Once in a while I see just a little yellow and scoop it off the top and use the rest. The only time I don’t use it is when yellow is at the top and it doesn’t separate, it’s like butter milk throughout and yellow at top. That would mean the temperature wasn’t right, too cool and got left out too long probably.

8. rebecca c. says:

I didn’t let it separate long enough and I strained it too early. Instead of yellow whey it was white. It still looks like milk. Can I put the liquid I strained back in the container and let it sit a little longer to get whey? Or am I done.?. I really just need the whey, don’t care about the curds right now.

• It’s done Rebecca. You can’t go back at that point. Get a new batch of milk and start over:/. Once you get the hang of it, you’ve got it forever. It’s just hard in the very beginning.

• Anonymous says:

Same thing just happened with my whey… My whey turned out to be milky, so I shook it and drank a 1/2 cup this morning. It just tasted like sour skim milk. I’d like to still drink about a 1/2 cup a day, if it’s beneficial to healing my gut, but if it’s not going to help me therapeutically, I’ll just toss it. What would you do?

• It is probably just buttermilk and is still nutritious, just not as much as whey. Here is my response to Emily-Yeah what you have is more like buttermilk. It is nutritious but not as much as it could be. It needs to have a more defined look of separation. I am very careful with the separating process. Scoop off top, it should be very thick into a bowl and set aside. Then pour gently the very liquid looking part. Any thick chucks should go into the bowl with the part you scooped out. It will be easier to get whey through cheese clothe that way.

If you only have milky and no thick parts it didn’t process on counter long enough or temperatures weren’t ideal. Sometimes I do throw batches out. Yours sounds very much like buttermilk that didn’t have hot enough temperatures all day and night. Or it didn’t sit on counter long enough. Try again!

9. candace says:

Hi. I am trying to make curds and whey. I started with soured raw milk and its been on the counter for 24 hours. The only thing that happend is that there is a heavy cream on top and no sign of the clear whey. I tasted the cream on top and it is very…. pungent. It is normal color. My house temp was at 73 all night and will be at 76 all day. What have I done? Please help. Thank you.

• Hi Candace, I personally have never started with soured milk so I wouldn’t know how that would work. I refrigerate my raw milk for a day or two then put it on the counter to start the curd and whey process. It can take several days to separate. Never stir. If you’re using cow milk you will have a lot of cream/curds on top. Goat milk has less cream/ curds. ave
      Toss it out if you have any doubts.

Blessings, Sharon

10. Hi Sharon,

Nice website. Love the Bible verses you shared about our Jesus eating curds and whey! I can’t wait to eat mine! We are making it for the first time and are using raw milk. Can we keep it in the glass bottle it came in or should we put it in another jar? Also we were trying to figure this all out last night and while trying to google whether we should keep the lid of the raw milk closed or open it sat out for about a half hour then we put it in the fridge and called it a night. I googled it again right now and I came across your website. YaY! So we have it in the original glass bottle on the counter and like you said put the cap on loosely. So as of now the milk has been sitting out for about two hours now. Sure hope to get some good whey out of this!

Thank-you for your help and God bless you!!

• Yay! Let me know how it turns out! Blessings!

Sharon

• Hi Sharon,

Did not get much curds at all. Not sure how the whey is supposed to taste but drinking it anyway… Next time will transfer the milk to another jar instead of leaving it in the milk jar it came in…hopefully it will make more curds that way. Thank-you!

11. candace says:

Ok Sharon. Another question. I put week old raw milk in a glass container and mixed in some lemon juice. I let it sit at room temp, uncovered, for a day or two. It has a light yellow cream on the top and the milk has turned into a sour cream consistency. It smells nice too. Can you tell me what it has turned to and can I eat it?

• Hi Candace! First off- I’ve never used week old milk for curds and whey or butter milk. I’m not saying you can’t-I just haven’t done it. I most always use the freshest milk possible. I’ve also never put lemon juice in mine-interesting idea! If it doesn’t separate distinctly into curds and whey the temperature in the house is not warm enough or you haven’t left it out long enough yet. Usually after a day or two I’ve got buttermilk consistency and the third day it’s curds and whey. Never shake or stir, let nature do its work.
      Hope this helps!

12. Hi Sharon,

Thanks for your blog. I tried making the whey last week and there all of sudden formed a reddish blob on top in about 4 days. The other thing that happened was that it went moldy, so I threw out the whole thing since we have been raised to do this. Do you think the milk is viable? Thanks so much.

• Hi Mel, Did you use raw milk (un-pasturized)? Was it fresh milk or did you use old milk? The house could have been too hot? Sharon Good that you threw it out!

• As far as I know it was raw and unpasteurized but I would like to order it again from the same person and don’t know if I even should bother. Thanks again!

13. Beautiful post!
    Thank you!
    I do have a question for you…
    I am very new to processing my raw milk.
    I am using extremely high quality A2 Jersey cow milk.
    I want to make curds and whey from a half gallon of milk that had sat in the fridge, unopened for about 10 days.
    There is at least 3.5 inches if very thick very buttery yellow cream solidified in the top of the mason jar.
    The liquid milk underneath is looks like pure white skim milk.
    I now have the jar in a stable cool spot. With the top still on tight.
    What do I do from here?
    Thank you for sharing and helping with this amazing knowledge!

• Hi Bea! I personally wouldn’t use 10 day old milk to make my curds and whey. I would scoop that wonderful cream off and make butter and give the skimmed milk to my animals. I try to use milk that’s no older than 4 days old. 9 times out of 10 I use 2 day old milk. I get the best results this way.

Hope that helps! Let me know!

Blessings, Sharon

14. Jocelyn says:

Wow, thank you for your responses to all these FAQs! I, like many others, have been researching this supposedly easy thing to make called whey and found your page most helpful. Quick Q: Can the house temp be too warm? We’re in TX and leave the AC off when we’re out and sometimes off at night- so sometimes it may be 80-81… will this adversely affect the whey and curds process? Many thanks!!

15. lori jones says:

I have been following the nourishing traditions book for about a year now and I was so excited to find a gentleman nearby with a goat! We do not have air conditioning (although the house is shaded by large trees) and are currently in a heat wave. I placed the milk in a mason jar last night and placed the jar in the coolest spot (80) that I could find and now this evening it is separated wonderfully – There is no odor and the mixture appears to be 1/2 whey on bottom and curds on top. Do I need to wait 3 days or is this ready to use now?

• It is ready! You don’t have to wait three days. At this point you could use it- but you could wait till tomorrow morning and the curds may get a little more firm. Sometimes if the temp is constantly high it will separate quickly but it takes a little more time for the curds to firm up. I like the curds to be firmer because it is easier to separate them from the whey.

If the curds are too soft sometimes they disintegrate into the whey.

Let me know how it turns out. Sounds like you’ve got a better batch in the making!! Yay!

16. Erin Anderson says:

I’m so thankful to have run across this posting! I just made my first batch of curds and whey and thought I was very successful! Until I smelled it. It smelled kinda… Well very yeasty. Is that normal? The curds more so than they whey. I tasted them and they have somewhat of a tangy taste. I know it’s hard to diagnose over the internet, but any help you could provide would be great :). Thank you!

• Hi Erin-It does smell like that and it does taste unusual. It’s probably fine. If it is bad it would really taste horrible and you would know it.
      After you get used to it, it still taste unusual! Let me know how it goes!

17. Kristin says:

I am trying to make homeade whey from raw cows milk. I used raw milk that had been previously frozen for a week. I did let it thaw
    In the fridge for a day or two before setting it out on the counter. It has now been sitting on the counter for almost 3 days and it looks
    Like it had the consistency of jello. The color is white on the bottom and a yellowish layer on top. How do you know when it is ready to strain?

• It may take an additional day if it had any chunks of frozen milk within. It also depends on the warmth of your house. Sounds like it is ready with that consistency. I scoop off the thickest part into a separated strainer and then pour the liquid through the cheese cloth into jar carefully.

• Kristin says:

Ok, I strained it through cheesecloth and the whey looks like cream!
        Help! And it also smells like cheese wiz. I doubled up the cheesecloth
        And the top layer of cream still went through.

• Hmm, well sounds like it didn’t separate correctly. If there was no discoloration or mold growing on top it is safe to use like you would sour cream or cream cheese in your baking. Use in your pancake or cake recipes, delicious. I’ve never made curds and whey from frozen milk. I use the freshest milk possible, never frozen.
          Try it again. Don’t give up. It is so worth the skill of learning this. It is invaluable medicinally.

18. Emily says:

Hi Sharon! I am so excited that I stumbled up your website yesterday! It’s fabulous! So I attempted whey for my first time ever yesterday. I bought a 1/2 gallon of local raw milk and set it out on my counter for 3 days until I saw that it was separating. Then I proceeded by doing the straining process on my counter for several hours. Well, my whey turned out milky. Bummer. I refrigerated it and this morning shook it up and drank a 1/2 cup. It tasted like sour skim milk. Honestly, I don’t care whether it tastes good or not… I just want the healing benefits of whey. Do you think it’s still a good batch to use therapeutically, or because it’s still milky, is it not as nutritious as the clear whey? And if I try a new batch, should I leave the milk on my counter for 5 days, rather than just 3? Thanks for your help, Sharon!!!

• Hi Emily, Yeah what you have is more like buttermilk. It is nutritious but not as much as it could be. It needs to have a more defined look of separation. I am very careful with the separating process. Scoop off top, it should be very thick into a bowl and set aside. Then pour gently the very liquid looking part. Any thick chucks should go into the bowl with the part you scooped out. It will be easier to get whey through cheese clothe that way.

• Emily says:

Thanks, Sharon! I have another 1/2 gallon of raw milk in my fridge from this past Friday, so if I set that out tonight (Tuesday night), should I give it till Saturday or Sunday?

• Sure! Optimally I would put this Friday’s milk out on the counter on Sat or Sunday. The milk has to be at least 24 hours old from milking time. If there is any bad bacteria in it the good bacteria consume it in that time period. Then it is good to start the fermentation. The freshest after that period the better. Four days old milk is the oldest I would ever use personally for my whey making.

• Anonymous says:

Ok so just so I am straight . Take raw milk refrigerate it for two days. Then put the whole jar on the kitchen table for a few days but not more then 4 days. Right?
            Does that mean that I can not make curds and whey with cream that I have removed from the raw cow milk ?

Melissa

19. Melissa prien says:

I have tried this three times and each time the raw milk never separates out. My apartment is up to temperature . Should the I have the lid on the jar on or off? And how many days after milking should I try to make curds and whey?

• Melissa,
      I have 2 suggestions for good results we have used. First, set a small thermometer next to the place where you are making the curds and whey… to make sure its 75 degrees. Second, put a small towel under and around the jar of milk to insulate and keep drafts down.
      You should have the lid on the jar while making the curds and whey. The raw milk should be in the refrigerator for 24 hours before you put the jar on the counter.
      I hope these suggestions help with your success of making curds and whey!
      Sharon

20. Alexis Baranek says:

Tried to make whey from fresh raw milk. Put in clean glass jar with a glass top and set on counter. House AC is set on 71. After one day ithad a strange and not pleasant smell, hard to discribe. Not like spoiled milk. Just not nice. After several days a thin clear line below thecream and solid beliw that. So i guess too cold, glass top not good or what? Afraid to try again.

• Hi Alexis, Yeah I would say house to not warm enough. The warmer it is the better. Some people put a heating blanket under the jar on the lowest setting.

21. Any ANYONE describe how this SHOULD smell? Mine smelled, really weird. Raw organic goat milk, I drink every day, but this, it smelled like someone was siick

22. devina says:

Hi sharon. Today is the second day of my milk being left on counter. I see a thick top layer and the whey in middle n the white bit at bottom. Does this mean my milk has seperated. Is it done??? Its hard to get raw milk where im from….they mix it with water here. So i made this batch with milk i bought from supermarket. On the box it just says 100 percent fresh milk. Doesnt saw pasteurized or anything like tht. The milk just smells like yoghurt. Is it safe to consume…

• Hi Devina, I only recommend using raw milk. If it isn’t pasteurized and only partially homogenized it will work. Raw milk turned into curds and whey smells like yoghurt. It doesn’t smell putrid. Sounds like you’ve got unpasteurized milk?

23. Ginger says:

I’m lost in this fermentation world, lol! I received my first kefir grains from a friend. Probably a couple of tablespoons. I added raw cow milk to it in a quart mason jar. I put a coffee filter over it and screwed the band on it and set it aside. After 24 plus hours, I strained and had wonderful kefir milk that i used in my smoothies. After doing this process each day, after day four, I developed curds and whey. Since kefir was new to me, I sure didn’t know what to do with curds and whey so i googled. I separated the whey from the solid and allowed my fingers to plundered in the curds and “save” my kefir. That was a chore!! So then i put my now 1/4 cup of kefir grains in the quart mason jar and add raw cow milk in less than 10 hours i have curds and whey again!! So my question is, do i have 3 products here? 1, Kefir to keep my kefir milk going. 2, curds to explore how to make??? with it. 3, whey to keep aside for good digestive health, smoothies?
    Why is my jar fermenting so quickly? Too much kefir? I would also like an “easier” way to “save” my kefir from the curds. If I don’t “save” the kefir and just use the curds, then where do I get more kefir grains from? Help and thanks:-)!

Trackbacks

1. [...] I was half excited (I had cream cheese!) and half dissappointed (was the whey useless?) so I went immediately to the interwebz and read and read and read about whey. And I finally found from Sarah, The Healthy Home Economist that sometimes the separation doesn’t occur fully. As a matter of fact, I think I may have obtained Curds and Whey [...]