Mothers: Changing History Through Prayer

Mothers_Blessing_of George_Washington_Dale_Glasgow_comMother’s Blessing of George Washington
8 x 10 fine art print by Dale Glasgow, © 2012.

Enter drawing to win a free print of the “Mother’s Blessing” :

Just post a comment below about a godly mom that you admire and why. I’m doing a drawing every Monday at noon in May. I’ll post winners here.

Hours before I was conceived my mom got on her knees in front of a red leather couch and poured her heart out to God with weeping, “Lord, if you will give me this night a baby I will dedicate it to You and for Your service, all the days of its life.  Amen.”God answered her prayer that night, and all my days have been dedicated to Him because of the fervent prayers of my mom.

My mom followed in the footsteps of millions of mothers who have prayed for thier children.

From the time of Moses until this very day, some of our most influential Christian heroes become history makers because of their mothers’  prayers.

Moses’ mother, Jochebed, modeled this type of prayer. She was a matriarch of the Old Testament,  selflessly devoted to her family, with unwavering faith and commitment to God. I envision Jochebed with her face to the floor crying out to the God of Israel, to her God, weeping on behalf of her baby whose life was endangered. Jochebed pleaded for God to spare and hoped for answers she could not see.  God not only saved Moses’ life but through Moses saved over two million Israelites out of Egyptian bondage.

God I want to be a mother who contends for her children like Jochebed.

John Wesley, one of the greatest evangelists of the 1700s, ( speaking to crowds of twenty thousand people or more) was raised by a mother who prayed. Susannah Wesley raised John in a home dedicated to the Word of God and prayer. In the midst of raising 10 children she would spend two hours a day in prayer herself. Many days she couldn’t find a place of solitude so she would lift her apron over her head to be alone with God.  There she would pray among the children playing about her.  Often her husband was gone for long lengths of time leaving her as a single parent. Another of her other children, Charles Wesley wrote over 9000 hymns that we still sing today.

God I want to be a mother who prays for her children like Susanna Wesley.

George Washington, the Father of our Country changed the course of American history for God’s Glory. His overwhelming reputation of humility, perseverance, dignity, honor, strength and sincerity was second to none. He was not just a military and revolutionary hero, he was a shining example of one enlisted in the army of God. The King of Kings was his leader and none other. George’s mother, Mary Washington raised him and his siblings as a single mother after his dad died when he was ten. She found her strength in God alone. It is recorded that she went to a nearby rock outside of her house to pray continually. George wrote letters to his mother while in the battlefield of the Revolutionary War proving what her prayers were doing for him. He wrote that he escaped death when bullets went through his coat and horses were shot out from under him. Miracle after miracle happened to George, and he honored his mother with these words “All that I am I owe to my mother.” George Washington  knew many of his triumphs happened because of his mother’s pleading prayers on his behalf. She prayed diligently and birthed our nation a God- fearing courageous leader.

God I want to be a mother who prays unceasingly for her children like Mary Washington.

Billy Graham, the Moses of our day, has led nearly 3 million people out of spiritual bondage into freedom in Christ, has preached the gospel to more than 80 million people in his lifetime. He said that of all the people he had ever known his mother had the greatest influence on his life. She would gather the family to listen to the Bible and have prayer together in the presence of God. She and his dad would pray for Billy every morning at 10’Oclock.

God, I want to be a mother who influences her children through the power of prayer like Morrow Graham.

Every Christian mother contending, interceding, praying for her children has the potential to change the course of history for God’s Glory. Our world is in need of God filled history makers to rise to the calling right now. I’m setting the challenge for myself today and I would love for you to join me; I am going to pray more diligently than ever for our children and their future. I will stand on these promises of God as I pray for them;

Matthew 21: 22, “And whatever things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive.”

John 14:13-14, “And whatever you ask in My Name, that I will do, that the father may be glorified in the Son .If you ask anything in my name, I will do it.”

I will pray as my mother did for me, for our children and for generations to come with unwavering passion and persistence. When I stand before the judgment seat of Christ I want to be counted among the hall of fame history makers like Moses’ parents were in Hebrews chapter 11.  God rewards those who believe in Him and diligently seek Him. So rise up mothers and be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might as you pray to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than you can think or imagine.

Sharon Glasgow

Comments

1. Wow where do I start. I feel very blessed to have a lot of praying women in my life. My grandmother set the foundation for prayer. She was a quiet women, but we as children new she loved the Lord very much. She raised 4 children by her self, my grandfather died of cancer before I was born. I am her oldest grandchild. When she past away we were all going through her things and we found journals after journals of prayer lists. People she was praying for with dates and notes. A lot of us were in the books over and over. I m not sure if a lot of people can leave this earth knowing all of there family members are christians, but my grandmother was able to go to her heavenly father knowing every one in her family will someday be in heaven with her. That I know was through a lot of praying. Now my Aunts and Uncles are prayer warries, we have been attacked but we over come. My Mother has now been an awesome prayer warrior for her husband, 2 daughters and 7 grandchildren. My sister and I are young but we see the power of what prayer can do and we are learning how to be what our Grandmother, Mother and Aunts have been, what a blessing to receive such inheritance that means more to me than money or things, because I am passing this on to my daughter and my 3 sons. I am so blessed.

Pam Brant

• What a beautiful testimony about the power of prayer through your grandmother! Thank you for sharing her story with me, I’ll never forget it.

2. Diane says:

The most godly woman in my life was my mother-in-law, Dorothy. She was a very quiet person. But, I knew she was praying. I was only 19 yrs. old when I married her oldest son, Terry. I was very outgoing and talkative and young. She raised 4 sons and what a godly influence she was on each of them. She was so patient with me. So, calm with me. I would spend hours visiting with her. She was the perfect mother in law in every way. I always prayed that I would be the good example my mother in law was to be. She developed alzheimer’s late in life. But, she was always praying for her children and grandchildren. I remember staying with her at one point late in the progression of the disease, and her going to the piano and playing the hymns she remembered. The high point of her day was when my husband and I would visit her in the nursing facility. I would sing childhood Christian songs (Jesus Loves Me) and Terry would play the guitar. It would just calm her and make her smile. She was such a godly example for me. I miss her very much.

3. Barbara Cole says:

Fern Nichols, the founder of Moms In Prayer International, is a mother whom I consider a mentor. She has taught me and millions of other moms how to release God’s power over our children by praying for them privately and corporately with other moms. Her prayer life is a powerful example of putting on the full armor of God and standing firm in the spiritual battle for the souls of our beloved children.

• Thank you Barbara for reminding me of Fern Nichols. She is an amazing example of one whose life is defined by prayer.

4. Donna Bailey says:

I had the blessing of living next door to a woman named Mattie. Mattie was and continues to be a woman who loves God, His word and a woman who prayed. When you walked into her dining room, the table was covered with her bible, commentaries, and bible dictionaries as she prepared to teach her Sunday School class each week. On her book shelf you would find a simple spiral notebook that was her prayer journal. I remember the first time she opened the pages to show me and what I loved most was the word “answered” written in red over her requests. Each time a new baby was born into her family, that baby’s name was entered along with the prayer that this little one would find Jesus early in life and serve God faithfully. I am so grateful for the entries in that worn spiral notebook that included the names of my family. At one point, we received the news that my husband was going to be laid off from his job. I literally ran to Mattie’s house with my news. She had several pans on the stove top preparing a meal for her family. She calmly walked over to the stove and turned off each burner. She said, we are going to pray, and so with many tears we did, and I walked back to my house with a calm reassurance God was still in control no matter what happened. Her words, “God has a plan” and “God knows best” were spoken frequently. There is no doubt that God placed me next door to this precious woman to learn from her. I hope that someday I can be a “Mattie” to someone else. Oh, in regard to the job situation, the boss called back and the company changed their minds and he wasn’t laid off after all. One more “answered” recorded in her prayer journal.

5. Sandy Wagner says:

My mom is a Godly woman who currently mentors younger ladies in her small group Bible study at church, calling themselves ‘Butterfly Sisters’. In spite of an unwelcome chronic autoimmune disease called Systemic Scleroderma, my mother is a woman who faithfully loves the Lord as her personal Savior.

Her life’s journey has not been an easy one. After her diagnosis, she underwent multiple surgeries that crippled her hands due to loss of circulation. Here she was, a young married mother of 3 children; attending night school to fulfill her dream of having a college education; hosting Bible studies during the day at her home for the neighborhood women; and now her world turns upside down. Hospitals, surgeries, amputations, pain, bedrest, anger, crying, arguing, fear. Looking back, I see how the Lord walked side by side with her, gently guiding her path resulting in our family moving away from freezing New York’s blizzards to sunny Florida beaches. God knew the warmer weather would improve her circulation!

Mom is now in her 70′s, and although her Scleroderma has progressed to her heart, lungs, and esophogus she continues to trust Jesus and be an inspiration to others, especially her ‘Butterfly Sisters’ and to me!

• What an amazing mom you have! After I read your comment I’ve spent time praying for her. I’ll be in Florida for a Mother’s Day lunch on the 12th. What part of FL does she live in?

6. Cathy says:

I never knew my Mom because she died 3 weeks after I was born. I am the youngest of ten children. I always yearned for my Mom growing up and desperatedly wanted to just feel her touch. It was not until I was in my fifties that my older siblings told me something that really blew me away. (My Dad never talked about my Mom to me because it was very hurtful for him to speak of her.) I found out that she was with me all the time – she had me on her mind when she died. My Mom had a lot of ailments when she was pregnant with me and after she passed they found bottles and bottles of medicine that the doctor had prescribed for her but she would not take “any” of it. She did not want the medicine to affect “me” in anyway. I also found out that she was a praying woman – she loved the Lord! I know that without a doubt in my mind that she prayed over me before she passed. I was told that she had a feeling that she would not live much longer after she had me because she gave each one of the younger children (it was me, my sister who was five and my brother who was seven) to my older siblings for them to take care of us just in case. I have been in many situations that I did not know how I survived them – after hearing about what my Mom did for me and how she was a praying woman – I KNOW her prayers protected me and kept me safe until I could come to the realization and understanding of having the same relationship with the Lord as she did. I have her spirit because I love to pray and I love the Lord so much. I thank God for my Mom and for all of her prayers that have lasted through many, many generations. She was an awesome lady – that’s my Mom!

• I love that! How blessed she would be to see how strong in the Lord you are and how you gave her this tribute! Thank you for sharing her with me!

7. Melanie says:

What a beautiful article! I want to thank you for such heartfelt encouragement to take the time for prayer specifically for our children. Yes, I pray everyday, sometimes several times over and over, but I am sad to think that I do not take committed time to pray heartfelt for my children. This article makes me think of a friend of mine, mother of 5 boys! All of her beautiful babies were born with some kind of ailment. Two have cystic fibrious, one has a heart defect, one has learning disabilities and the list goes on. She has prayed for her children from the moment she knew she was pregnant and has not once been detered by the health issues. All of the boys are growing strong and are Godly children dispite their struggles, I belive because of the tender faith in God. The nights she has spend weeping and praying at her childrens bedside either at the hospital or at home are countless. She goes through every day knowing that not all of her beautiful children will survive to be men of God, but her work is to love and care for them while they are here with her and she takes her commission from God very seriously. I am truely inspired by her unwaivering faith and diligent prayers for her boys in the face of what could be great tragedy.

• You are welcom Melanie! Wow that’s amazing about your friend with the five boy’s. Thank you so much for posting about her, what a testimony.

8. Tasha Cantrell says:

Read your devotion in the P31 Magazine this month…I loved it! and I LOVE the wonderful painting. Your husband is very talented!

I admire my mother so very much for her prayers. When I was 15 years old my dad left my mom…my mother and I prayed and prayed and prayed and studied scriptures and prayed and prayed and prayed some more….after 8 months, my dad came home and they celebrated 35 years of marriage this year! Praise the Lord! I learned how to pray from my mother…and not just pray but to pray without ceasing. (1 Thes 5:17)…

9. My mentor and friend, Amy, is a very godly mother, and she has taught me so very much just by living the Gospel out for her family. I am thankful for her example~my own mother was not a Christian, and although she was an excellent mother, I never had a living example of a godly woman until I met Amy. : ) ~Lyn

10. Deana says:

My mom was not a Christian when I was born but was diligent in taking my sister and I to church each week. When I was about 10 God sent some other ladies into her life who showed her what a relationship with the God of the universe could be like. From those days the focus in our home shifted to be centered on knowing God personally. Because of her persistent prayers over my Dad, he gave his life to God when I was in high school. They provided me the guidance to avoid pitfalls and have always encouraged me to follow Christ. I am now blessed to serve on staff at our church and share Christ with others- which would not be possible without my Mom’s willingness to follow God’s call in her life.

11. Colleen G. says:

I would have to say for me the most godly woman is one I don’t even know by name, or to see – it would be our sons Birthmother. Our “angel on earth” as I call her is someone who defines selflessness, endless love and courage. It is an indicidual who thought more of the child in her arms life, than her own. It is a person I hold the upmost respect for, pray for and hope to meet one day to Thank her.
    -Colleen G.

12. Christine says:

This coming week, a group of us in church are joining to pray for our children who are now adults. There are 27 adult children represented by us all and we are committed to pray and fast through from 13th-18th May. I recieved the P31 magazine this week and imagine my amazement when I saw the painting of Mary Washington praying over her ADULT son. This gave a deep encouragement to my heart that we were doing what was right to pray in faith for all our children no matter what age or stage of life they are at.
    One particular mother who is joining our prayers , is in her 70′s. She is faithful in persistant prayer and encourages me regularly with words of Scripture and spiritual insights to continue to pray for my two sons and two daughters , all adults now with their own lives and families. This lady has known them all as young children brought up in the ways of the Lord, she faithfully holds them before the Lord and encourages me to do the same no matter what is happening in their lives. This is one Scripture we hold up as a prayer of faith for them: ‘ .. and their true life is hidden in Christ’ Colossians 3 v3. Whatever life they think they are living, their true life is hidden in Christ.( As young people they all gave their hearts to the Lord).
    So I am very thankful for the visual encouragement and for your article on praying mothers.

13. Jennifer Lovelace says:

My mom is the person that I admire the most and strive to be more like because of her godly character. My siblings and I are so blessed to have grown up in a Christian family. We witnessed over the years my mom get up early every morning before any of us were awake and spend time in prayer and in the Word. When I read Proverbs 31, I automatically think about my mom. She is a great example of that passage. Now that I have 2 small children of my own, I appreciate her more every day and I am so grateful for the sacrifice she made to give us a strong foundation in Christ. I aspire to be the kind of mom to my children that she has been to me.

14. julie says:

The mom who prays? Is not a mom here on earth.

She has not been blessed with children and her pain is written on her face; but not in her voice.

She prays for children who have no moms to rock them at night, or loving arms to comfort them when sad, women whose arms are empty, dads who silently have built pine boxes for newborn children, doctors who deliver heartbreaking news and the nurses who hold hands while delivering stillborn babies….. But; always…the prayer that is always on her lips is one of hope and comfort and thankfulness of the everlasting grace of God to see them through.

Let us never take for granted the ultimate joy of being a mom and remembering our fellow women of Christ who are not blessed with such a honoring gift.

• Thank you for reminding us all of the ultimate gift of motherhood. I sat by our daughter’s bedside for 24 hours a couple of years ago while she was in labor to deliver our first grandchild who had died from cord wrapped around her. It was the hardest day, month and years. I pray all the time for the women who don’t have thier babies to hold yet, that they will.
      Blessings to you.

• julie says:

What a comfort and act of motherly love to be there with your daughter; you will be forever bonded by that moment. Blessings upon you.
        “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”
        2 Corinthians 12:9

15. Ufuoma Fijabi says:

THOUGH MY MOTHER IN LAW IS GONE HOME TO BE WITH THE LORD.MY HUSBAND TELLS ME A LOT ABOUT HIS PRAYING MUM. HOW SHE WOULD LAY ON THAT FLOOR MAT ON THE HARD FLOOR STAY DAY AND NIGHT TO PRAY AND PRAY. TODAY HER WORDS, ENCOURAGEMENT AND VIRTUES LIVE ON IN HER CHILDREN AND GENERATIONS TO COME.AMEN

16. You can definitely see your enthusiasm in the paintings you write. The arena hopes for more passionate writers such as you who are not afraid to say how they believe. All the time follow your heart.