Eating Your Weeds- Milk Thistle for Your Liver

Butterflies enjoying Milk Thistle next to barn

Butterflies enjoying Milk Thistle next to barn

Jonathan is doing well. Would you continue to pray? He needs our prayers. Thank you!! After walking the halls of  the hospital  and seeing all the sick people it makes you want to be healthy, doesn’t it! Hence, this post on Milk Thistle.

Milk Thistle is growing all over our property. For years I thought they were a pain and to some extent they are if you touch the thorns. They’re weeds that literally grow like wild here in VA.  Our cows and sheep wouldn’t eat them, nor our goats! Finally I did some research and found that God was saving them for us. The above ground parts and seeds are medicinal.

The seeds most often are used for liver and gallbladder disorders.

Some people use milk thistle for diabetes, diseases of the spleen, prostate, cancer, depression and, uterus. It is also used for allergy symptoms. They also have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.

In foods, milk thistle leaves (cooked)and flowers are eaten as a vegetable for salads and a substitute for spinach. The seeds can be used to make coffee substitute and tea.

I’m using my Milk Thistle seeds raw on salads, in our smoothies and in our oatmeal. Having a healthy liver is vital for our health. Here are just a few things the liver does:
*Controls the production and removal of cholesterol
*Makes clotting factors
*Produces immune factors such as gamma gobulin
*Creates bile to help digest food and absorb nutrients
*Helps to clear the body of waste, toxins, and drugs
*Helps to maintain blood pressure
*Helps to support the liver’s ability to regenerate damaged tissue
*Reduces inflammation of the liver and gallbladder
*Improves digestion by stimulating bile production
*Helps to detoxify the liver from poisons
*Provides the body with antioxidants
*Helps to treat cirrhosis of the liver, jaundice, and chronic hepatitis.

Milk Thistle is a super nutrient for liver health. For more info on Milk Thistle read these links:

“Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own? For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body.” I Cor. 6:19-20

Chop the tops off the milk thistle plant-wear gloves

Chop the tops off the milk thistle plant-wear gloves

milk thistle 6

Let the tops dry for a week in a dry place

Pull the purple top out and you'll find this fluffy stuff with seeds on the ends

Pull the purple top out and you’ll find this fluffy stuff with seeds on the ends

I held the fluffy part and with one gentle tug the seeds came off easy. If you do a bunch you can shake the heads in a big bag and the seeds will drop to the bottom of the bag.

We eat the seeds on our salad, in our smoothies and in our oatmeal

We eat the seeds on our salad, in our smoothies and in our oatmeal

milk thistle4

milk thistle 3

Comments

1. Wow. That’s very interesting! Thank you for the information. My mom is actually going through some liver problems so I’ll be sure to let her know.
    Thanks again and still keeping Jonathan and your family in my prayers. May God be glorified!!

2. Courtney says:

Good to know! And I’m still praying for you and your family!

3. Very interesting, will have to look into getting some….Still praying for Jonathan and Rachael, and all of you….Anna

4. Amazing, all the things God has for us, just waiting to be found. Thanks for sharing this Sharon, and for the links. You are a blessing.

5. Milk Thistle really is an amazing planet. I’ve really become a big fan after discovering I was having a bit of sluggish liver. Great post. Followed you from the Homestead Barn Hop.
    Love for you to come by Wildcrafting Wednesday and share.

6. Lewis says:

I notice that you say the useful parts are above ground. The strongest and most useful part is the root though the seeds are what I’ve been milling and eating for years. The doctor says my liver numbers have stabilized since using it. He may have been a bit upset because he couldn’t write me a prescription for it.

7. William Gambill says:

I was diagnoised with pancreas and liver problems. My liver enzymes were elevated to 188
    and the my gastrologist advised me that I needed to have a liver biopsy that I possibly had chirrosis and/or hepatitis. I advised him that I wanted 30 days delay and to take Milk Thistle to see the results. Blood work was done after 30 days and my liver enzymes were lowered to 48. God is great healer with his creations.

• WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! I love your testimony!!!!! Thank you SO much for sharing!! Which part of the Milk Thistle were you taking?

• Joanna Tan says:

My daughter Christabelle ,is a 18years old girl. She has very high abnormal liver enzymes, fatty liver and is a diabetes. I just bought Jarrow’s brand Milk Thistle capsules and the raw ones too. Just start taking for 2 days. I am very hopeful after reading your testimonies! Please pray and include for my daughter in your prayers.
      Thank you.
      Joanna

8. John M says:

true?

9. Well milk thistle is good to know about, in my opinion. I read about how when the liver is being destroyed by accidentally eating poisonous mushrooms, eating milk thistle will help the liver regenerate as fast as it is being destroyed. That along with other quotes, are good enough for me to seek it out and eat it right from the ground.

10. I am God follower and lover, God loves me so much and HE gave and gives us a lot of amazing plant such as milk thistle, I am not tall or heave, just 5.1 and 100lb, but my chotestrol was 8.69, my doctor said might be genetic, will prescribe medication for me, I asked for 90 days to try the plants God provided and provides to me, I drank milk thistle leave and flower tea, Dandelion leaves and flower tea, Psyllium seed drink, green vege mix drink, green vege from the back yard God gave me, once a week or every day or every other day in the morning, i go to backyard, cut sage, oregano, kale, swisschard leaves, green cabbage leave, I wash them, blend them with water and teaspoon of organic olive oil, make my own sourdough bread, work out, read bible, go to fellowship, pray for myself and others, three months later, my LDL down to 3.69, what amazing result, praise HIS name, our body is the temple of Lord, clean it, eat the right food God gives us, same to our spiritual life, seek HIS ways and words, give up old us, let Lord make us new and clean and healthy again.

11. I am God follower and lover, God loves me so much and HE gave and gives us a lot of amazing plant such as milk thistle, I am not tall or heave, just 5.1 and 100lb, but my cholesterol was 8.69, my doctor said might be genetic, will prescribe medication for me, I asked for 90 days to try the plants God provided and provides to me, I drank milk thistle leave and flower tea, Dandelion leaves and flower tea, Psyllium seed drink, green veggie mix drink, green veggie from the back yard God gave me, once a week or every day or every other day in the morning, i go to backyard, cut sage, oregano, kale, swisschard leaves, green cabbage leave, I wash them, blend them with water and teaspoon of organic olive oil, make my own sourdough bread, work out, read bible, go to fellowship, pray for myself and others, three months later, my LDL down to 3.69, what amazing result, praise HIS name, our body is the temple of Lord, clean it, eat the right food God gives us, same to our spiritual life, seek HIS ways and words, give up old us, let Lord make us new and clean and healthy again.

12. Pelin says:

Here is a receipe, I have just cooked. It is great. Cut milk thistles, prefarebly baby ones. Boil them with salt and little water 10 minutes.Drain. Cut them in to small peaces with scissors. In a saucepan soutee onion garlic with virgin olive oil. Add cooked milk thistles. Add cooked pasta. Cut domatoes as cubes and add them and squeeze 2 garlic for the final taste. Don’t forget the final salt. Bonapetite:)