Marshmallows

Homemade marshmallows: I use them for my traditional Thanksgiving/Christmas salad and for Easter marshmallow chicks. They are out of this world good!

Sharon’s Marshmallows

4 envelopes unflavored gelatin

1 1/3 cups water

2 1/2 cups sugar

1 1/3 cups light organic corn syrup

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons organic GF vanilla

2 cups powdered sugar

Need a candy thermometer

1.Generously grease a 13X9 glass baking dish– if you want thick marshmallows, for Easter chicks or chocolate covered marshmallows. Pictured below I spread the marshmallow onto cookie sheets because I wanted thin marshmallows for a reunion fruit salad. Oh my goodness, that salad is the BEST.

2. In electric mixing bowl soften gelatin and 3/4 cup of water. Let sit while you’re boiling the sugars.

3.In 6 qt. pot-add sugars, corn syrup, 1/2 cup water and salt and stir.  Bring to boil and cook on high heat until the candy thermometer reaches 234-240 degrees. Pour boiling syrup into mixing bowl with the gelatin and beat until fluffy and thick, approx 15 min’s. Then add vanilla and stir.

4. Pour into the greased glass dish. Let sit at room temperature for 8-10 hours uncovered.

5. Pour powdered sugar on your cutting surface and turn marshmallow mixture on it. Pour powdered sugar on top of it too. With a pizza wheel cut into bite size pieces. I’ve used cookie cutters and made spring chicks or hearts and dipped in chocolate as well. People love this recipe. It is well worth the labor of love that goes into it. I only make them at holidays to keep it special.

Marshmallow Fruit Salad– You must have this recipe!

Boiling the sugars up to 240 degrees, not a degree higher or it is chewy.

Pour into mixing bowl and mix for approximately 15 minutes or till fluffy. Then pour into greased dish. Leave for 8-10 hours and then slice into whatever size you want. Pour powered sugar on counter before cutting or it will stick. After pieces are all cut add more powdered sugar to coat sticky sides. Put in air tight container until ready to use or eat.

My Pyrex oblong dishes were all in use so dishes I poured it out onto cookie sheets. I’m making them for a salad, so I want them to be small, so this was okay to use. If I were making chicks for Easter I would make the marshmallows thick.

Yum! Ready for my fruit salad!

Comments

1. Those look sooooooo good!!!!!
    Hugs,

2. Yay! I wanted to make some peppermint marshmallows and pair them with hot cocoa mix for some Christmas presents. Think I could use peppermint instead of vanilla and add a red food coloring streak after it’s poured out and waiting to cool. I love it that you just cut them with a pizza cutter.

3. Elliott says:

How do the “organic” ingredients affect the recipe (not the consumer) compared to regular ones?

4. Jacie says:

Do they taste any different/better than store bought? I like store bought just wondering.

5. Sounds good, but I’m a little confused. In the directions it says to put the sugars together. I checked twice and the only sugars I saw was regular white sugar and powdered sugar. Why put powdered sugar in if you’re going to add water to it? Isn’t powdered sugar only sugar that has been blended in a blender or whipped with a little something that I can’t remember added to it? So when you add the water won’t it just be like adding regular sugar in the first place?

• Yes, powered sugar, regular sugar and corn syrup are the sugars I’m referring to. Put them all in together. It will all be liquid once you add water and the heat is on. After it gets to appropriate temp take off heat. The gelatin and water in your mixing bowl is key to gelling it and the beating for 15 or more minutes. Let me know how you do!

• Christie says:

Hi Gina,
      Powdered sugar has corn starch in it…. happy cooking! 🙂

6. Emily says:

How long will these last? Should I store in an air tight container at room temp or in fridge?

7. so WHERE is the reunion fruit salad recipe???

8. Melissa says:

I’m so excited about this recipe! I think I could pass these to my neighbors etc. this season! Plus it’ll be so fun for my kids to see that we are making them at home. My 3 year old LOVES marshmallows!! 🙂

• Melissa says:

We made these this season for cocoa. Everyone loved them. Now we are making them and cutting them into stars to include in a homemade cocoa mix to give out! Thanks so much for this recipe! 🙂

9. Melva says:

When the sugars are coming up to temperature, something makes me think you’re not supposed to stir them. Is that correct or am I remembering something from another recipe?

10. Once you make these…you’ll never buy another marshmallow! Thanks for sharing this, Sharon.

11. Mitzy Mills says:

If you wanted just the marshmallow cream, could you just put this in a jar without cutting it up and rolling them in the powdered sugar? I know there are several recipes that call for marshmallow cream. . . just wondering.

12. Heidi says:

I was wondering if I could use raw honey instead of the corn syrup?

Thanks

• That’s an awesome question Heidi. I have no idea but it sure sounds like it could be worth a try if you can afford experimenting with the cost of honey. It’s terrible that regular corn syrup is so bad for you. I’m waiting for my shipment of organic corn syrup to get here now. I can’t find it in stores.

For most recipes that call for corn syrup I use honey or maple syrup. Marshmallows are just so temperamental.

13. Melissa says:

To make something like Rice Krispie treats, could you just pour the liquid mixture (after mixing 15 minutes) straight into a bowl with the cereal and stir, then spread out to set up like you do with store bought marshmallows?

• Yep, that works- I’ve done it! Reduce the final temperature in the pot by a couple degrees.
      A couple degrees is a big deal in candy making. It will make stirring the Rice Krispies in a lot easier.

14. Shirley says:

What is “organic GF vanilla”? I’m confused about the GF

• GF is abbreviation for gluten free. Thank the Lord you haven’t needed to know what GF stands for. Many people (Celiac) can’t eat grains with gluten in them like; wheat, barley, spelt, etc. People with compromised immune systems should eat organic when possible.

Trackbacks