Chicken & Dumpling Casserole
water and salt
2 cups of self-rising flour (I use gluten free baking mix)
¼ cup butter, melted (more is always better)
¼ lb cheddar cheese, shredded
2/3 cup buttermilk ( you can substitute w/ homemade plain yogurt)
2 eggs, beaten
- Cook chicken in water with 1 diced onion, three chopped carrots and salt to taste. Cook for 2-6 hours depending on how tender you want or how long you have. Take chicken out of broth, take skin off and debone. Shred chicken. Save carrots.
- Mix all ingredients for dumplings and set aside.
- Grease 9 X 13 baking dish. Evenly distribute shredded chicken and saved carrots into dish. Pour 2 ½ cups of chicken broth on top. Add salt to taste. Pour dumpling mixture on top in mounds and spread evenly.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 40 min’s or until dumplings are fully baked on top.
- To freeze: Bake, let cool and wrap tightly- put in freezer. Let thaw and reheat on low heat. Sometimes I freeze it unbaked. If you do that, let it thaw and then bake 40 min’s are until done.