40 Day No Complaining Fast

Meeting with  the Lord three hours every morning for the next 40 days-May it be a sweet aroma unto Him

Moonlit sky on the Glasgow Farm

My 40 day fast ended abruptly before my head hit the pillow, on the first day! Yep, my plan was to… fast from complaining. I was pretty excited over the possibility of reigning all those negative thoughts… then I woke up on the first morning- and our pipes had frozen!

I stood with my blow dryer, blowing hot air on to pipes while Dale sawed huge holes out of our drywall to find where water was flooding behind walls.

The phone rang, I turned the blowdryer off. Someone was unhappy with their circumstances and were complaining- profusely… My thoughts were flailing… I got ready to stop myself because of my fast… but… then- I took the bait and went along with the complaining. How quickly my high hopes and ambition failed me!

Dale’s computer died. It wasn’t even its appointed time. It was still in its prime… Poor thing, he had to work on mine- which put me behind. My thoughts started to complain, but then I remembered- I was fasting!

That night, I had a rip roaring fire in the wood stove. I opened the door to load wood but my dog wouldn’t move. His back end pressed against the scorching hot stove door and caught fire! A large stream of dark grey smoke rose toward the ceiling. The fire alarm sounded, “Fire, Fire, Fire!” He ran. I chased him with a wet towel… He was fine. We both sat back down, by the fire. The house smelt horribly of burnt dog hair.

I said,“Lord, I failed terribly at reigning negative thoughts today. I don’t have the ability to do this in my own power. What would you suggest for the next forty days knowing my weak minded condition?”

I’d been reading in Exodus, so He spoke to me through it. I had just read Exodus 29 where Moses and Aaron were to offer a morning and evening sacrifice- an offering made by fire to the Lord of their first fruits.

I’m not a morning person and I would never choose to rise before the sun does, ever. So I decided that I would sacrifice those hours to Him. I would rise at O’dark-hundred every morning for the next forty + days to spend three hours alone with Him.

I started this past Sunday. I thought it would be impossible to get up, but He woke me before the alarm sounded. Then yesterday and today were the same — He woke me before the alarm… as if He’s excited about our time together.

The hardest part of getting up is that our house is FREEZING! We heat by a wood fire and by wee morning hours it’s just a few glowing coals left. The temperature in the house is 40ish degrees until the fire gets going. I load the wood and then we start to talk, Him and I.

It’s getting pretty exciting… How ironic that my sacrifice starts with us starting a fire together, kinda like in Exodus. The forty days will be over on Good Friday- and this year, Good Friday is even the first day of Passover! I can’t imagine what it will be like in 37 days. If you see me out and about you notice me glowing like Moses you’ll know why! His Shekinah Glory is EXPLODING!

Oh that my sacrifice be a sweet smelling aroma unto Him!

The Overflow of His Shekinah Glory

Ephesians 5:1 tells us to “Walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma.”

2 Corinthians 2:14-15 “But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and manifests through us the sweet aroma of the knowledge of Him in every place. For we are a fragrance of Christ to God…”  Sparky and I the night he caught on fire

Sparky and I the night he caught on fire

Comments

1. Linda says:

I also get up very early in the morning to spend time with God. Words cannot describe how much closer I am to Him.

I meet with Him in my “secret place”. This time alone with Him
    Is what I crave!!

2. This is such good advice and I am going to try and implement it in my own life. Thank you for this post, I also got a wonderful chuckle out of Sparky’s unfortunate experience with the wood fire.

3. Such sweet phrases. Oh to see you glow would be amazing 🙂 to know God is near to you would give me hope as God feels so far from my life right now.
    So glad Sparky is okay, and spring is coming so frozen pipes will be just a soggy thought!

4. That was just beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on your fast. I was very moved when you said He woke you early; as if He were excited to spend time with you. If only we could live all the time with this awareness.

5. Kristen Gielow says:

Have a great time with the Lord.
    And glad your dog is ok, I was so worried about him until you told me he was ok.
    May God bless you during this time.

6. Jeanie Kelley says:

Praying that Sparky is okay and that you are enjoying your time with God. I am taking a fast from social media so have not been on face book at all till after Easter. This is such a good idea to do. Thanks for the idea.

7. Linda says:

Life always offers you a second chance. It’s called TOMORROW.

8. On Ash Wednesday, without asking God what HE wanted me to give up, I decided that giving up chocolate would be a great idea. The next day, however, I noticed myself complaining to everyone about everything. Not surprisingly, the Lord wisely led me to Bible verses and devotionals about complaining, and I finally started to “get it.” I began asking God to help me quit moaning and groaning. This morning while sipping my coffee, I felt compelled to pray to the Lord fervently to help me stop whining. Oddly, I then decided to check my email (which I do not normally do during morning devotionals). Low and behold, there was your post! I laughed out loud, and thanked the Lord for His immediate response to my prayer! God’s timing is perfect.

9. For myself I am reading the bible on my own. I take lots of notes and when my husband leaves for work. I read my devotional in my e- mail and if there are chapters to read. Will pray before reading the bible then read the whole chapter. How do I start a 40/days with god. Thank you .

10. Angela says:

That was a beautiful post. I am new in my christian journey and I stumble onto your blog and it is what I needed to read this morning.

11. Thank you so much for sharing Sharon, I too have tried to fast and failed but reading your post has given me some hope to try it again by asking God to help me with it. I hope to draw closer to Him and receive all the refining He has for me. I look forward to transformation and wholeness.

12. shelia Shackelford says:

Laziness&telling lies

13. I also spend time with God every morning. I start with prayer, then I do a devotional, after that I read some of the Bible. I have not only gotten closer to God, but every time I reread the Bible, I always learn something new. I’ve read the whole Bible 4 times and I’m reading it for the 5th time. The devotions I do also has daily Bible reading where it will get you through the Bible in a year.
    I always end my day in prayer also. God is number 1 in my life!
    For Lent, I gave up watching my Soap Opera. In fact, I’m going to give it up entirely. I rather spend that time in devotions or reading the Bible. I enjoy your devotions very much. I just started reading them and look forward to what the next day devotional will be.

14. Marie says:

Thank you Sharon for sharing. You inspire me and I will also do a 40 days no complaining fast. I do my devotional in the morning and at night. I am taking a Bible school course for credit I spent a lot of time reading and studying. I love to learn more about the Lord.

15. Debbie says:

what a great idea! A no-complaining fast. This is seriously where I need to do some serious work. Thank you so much for sharing this idea! I will start today!

16. Tamie says:

I am touched by the devotional and I see me. The things that I don’t want to do and trying to stay out of trouble I find myself doing when I say I’m not doing this any more. I would like to follow your lead on the 40 days of no complaining Fast, and I need to fast just to stay out of trouble to set a watch over my thoughts and what I say or how I react to things.

17. Maryanne says:

Praise the Mighty Name Of the JOSEd answered prayer and His Mercies

18. Maryanne says:

Praise the Mighty Name Of The Lord for answered prayer and His Mercies

19. Mary beth says:

I have tried and failed many times but innkeeper on trying. I was trying to fast every morning but that failed after a week. I know what’s need to do pray and then fast but trying to put that into action is what I’m struggling with.

20. Marie says:

Thank you Sharon for sharing. You inspire me, I will also do the 40 days no complaining fast. I do my devotional in the morning and at night before bed. I am taking a Bible school course, so I spend lots of time reading and studying. I love to learn more about the Lord and spend time with Him.

Trackbacks

1. […] Moonlit sky on the Glasgow Farm My 40 day fast ended abruptly before my head hit the pillow, on the …read more       […]