Don’t Leave an Open Door for Your Enemy

photo

I thought I was all alone but there were noises coming from the cellar.  I was too afraid to open the door. . . so I didn’t. I continued to type and then from the corner of my eye, I saw something move.  I gulped and bravely looked to see him staring at me from the cellar door.

Fear grabbed me and then I ran outside and screamed for Dale. The six-foot snake still hung from the top of the door staring at me.  The tip of its tail clung firmly to the top for security. Bare handedly Dale grabbed the snake with both hands.  The snake was holding on for dear life!  He firmly pulled him off the door.  Its head stood straight up and body seemed bigger than life as Dale juggled his weight toward the front door.  All along I watched from my standing position on the table top.  Dale looked at me as if to wonder if I was just going to stand there or help him. He said, “I NEED YOU TO OPEN THE DOOR!”  Then, he flung the snake out into the grass.

I gathered myself and sat back down to work.  My daughter came into the kitchen a few minutes later and calmly pointed at the same door and said, “Mom, there’s another one.” I gulped and turned to see the second huge snake staring right at me.

This one was determined not to get caught.  He slithered behind the large freezer.  Us girls were undone with adrenaline and disgust.  Dale told us to get a grip and help him.  The third snake appeared…

We all took a deep breath after the third snake was caught and sighed in relief, believing that it was all over.  It was getting late, Ellie (16 yrs old)and I were washing dishes together and she made a proclamation, “I will never, ever sleep in this home again. I’m moving in with Becca.  They don’t have snakes!” As I handed her the rinsed plate to be dried off, I assured her that there were no more snakes and that she would not move in with her friend Becca.

Calmly she said,”Mom, there’s one coming from the cellar door right now.” I  said, “Ellie, don’t be silly.” I turned just to make sure she was kidding but she was right!  Number five and six came last and we’ve never seen another snake in the house since.  Ellie never moved in with Becca.

We’ve lived in our house for twenty years and never had a snake before that or after.  Dale had left the crawl space door under the house open in the fall and forgot to close it. The snakes saw it as a welcome sign for winter dwelling and took up residence. Winter was over and they were looking for their way out…

That night as I laid in bed, the verse from Ephesians 4 came to mind, “Don’t give Satan a foothold.” What’s a foothold? An open door to be invited in.  Satan looks for open doors of opportunity- footholds into our life.  We open doors to him when we have un-forgiveness, anger, fear or we constantly dwell on conflict we have with others. . . (just to name a few ways he slithers his way in).

We don’t even realize he’s gotten a foothold sometimes until  fear or anxiety stare us in the eye and say “here I am, now what are you gonna do about it?”  We can choose to ignore it, be too afraid to face it- or engage in the battle that will define our life.  I don’t know about you but I don’t want to live with snakes in my home.

It’s MY home and God has not given me the spirit of fear; but of power, and love, and of sound mind.  Negligence in this battle is costly.  Imagine what my house would be like if I didn’t get rid of the snakes or left the door open all year long.  I wouldn’t want to live here!

If Jesus is Lord of our life, than we have the weapon we need.  The Word of God will defend us!  We need to read it, believe it, and live it.  Jesus promises to help us!  Ask the Lord to reveal any open doors in your life that have allowed the enemy to have a foothold. Clean your house and shut the door to snakes!

“Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.” I Peter 5:8

Take up the sword of the Lord which is the Word of God and rebuke the enemy with TRUTH!

“Resist the devil and he will flee from you.” James 4:7

Comments

1. Jodi M says:

Satan had a strong foot-hold on me for abuse/trauma I suffered for a very, very long time. He almost reached a point of taking me down and out. Thankfully, I am leaving the last home this occurred in tomorrow. I cried, screamed, begged on my hands and knees for God to rescue me since I was not capable to save myself on my own…nor any ‘human’ possible. It was necessary for a significant amount of supernatural intervention and I have been aware of Supernatural presence surrounding me everywhere I go since Dec 2013.

2. Jodi M says:

That freaks me out and I don’t even want to sleep here 1 more night, however I know I am being protected!

3. Oh my goodness Sharon…I want to print this out as a reminder!! This gives such a visual to the “serpent” who wants to enter the door of our “crawl space”…the space in our lives where evil slithers in. OH, I don’t want to give the enemy any foothold. YUCK!!! Makes me shiver!

May I always be this sensitive and appalled by the enemies presence.
    Love you,

4. Charlotte Askew says:

Talking to me Sharon?? Since when did you enter my heart and see all the little open crawl spaces. Oh yes, they are there!! Anger and unforgiveness toward a daughter in law, unforgiveness toward a sister. I work hard to close them every day but satan creeps in through the tiniest crack. Maybe I need to mortar the door shut, close him out forever. I am praying now the the Holy Spirit will “rock my boat” each time that I start to focus for 1 minute on either incident. Forgiving is the hardest thing to do. I feel that I have forgiven them, however, the bad feelings will arise for no reason. Maybe my best bet is to forgive them every day until it has become a part of me. God spoke to me throught you today Sharon, thank you.

5. Karen says:

Great post! It fits with things that are going on in my life. I realize I have the power to resist Satan and shut the door on him with God’s help and guidance. It is so easy to let thoughts and emotions get the better of you. Just need to put God first.

Thanks,

Such a timely message as I have been guilty of leaving the “crawl space” open for the enemy to come in and occupy my heart, though disguised and unseen. I finally see that I have been unforgiving and not accepting someone for how they treat me. I realize I must respond in a loving and forgiving manner in order to resist the enemy’s control and shut the door on his evil ways through the Lord’s spirit. I made a copy of your article (minus the visual snake) and plan to keep it on hand when another assault occurs in my thoughts. Thank you for such insightful wisdom and the scripture that accompanies it.

7. Doris says:

1. Very powerful message.
    2. Scary. I hate snakes.
    3. Most excellent reminder for us to stay close to our power source.
    Thank you so much for encouraging and challenging us to examine our journey. Let us be honest with ourselves and fight with the tools God has given us.

8. Yikes! My married daughter has a huge fear of snakes and they recently built their dream farm home. Oh my! Greater fear than this, is not clothing ourselves fully in Christ and His Word daily. And living in obedience…the only way to overcome that old ugly serpent!

Sharon!!
    I had a dream two snakes on a bridge starring at each other!
    Needless to say I woke up feeling very still able to recall the vision and so uneasy and disturbed!
    The day was a tailspin from gossip at work where people almost lost there job! Lies deceit ect!
    Thank you for reminding me this AM where to find me sword and peace!

10. Loved this post. It certainly held my attention and I kept waiting for the snakes to stop, but they kept coming and coming. Just as relentless as the enemy of our souls. Thanks for such a visual which will keep it in my memory.