When the Storms Rage and the Winds Blow on Your House

Hartwood_snow_modThe howling, frigid wind whipped and beat the house mercilessly last night. The old spruce tree bent and screeched against the house so much I couldn’t go back to sleep.

Sometimes it’s good to be awakened in middle of a storm and listen. Listen to what you can’t normally hear. You know, the deep things, things you can’t hear on a quiet, calm night.

So, I talked to Him.

I should reword that…I was pleading with Him and it had nothing to do with the storm outside my window.

You know, like the disciples did when the windstorm came down on the lake and the boat they were in filled with water.

The storm raged and the disciples were afraid. They pleaded with Jesus to help them, and He did. (Luke 8)

He calmed the storm and then asked, “Where is your faith?”

I felt like Jacob struggling and fighting my petitions before Him last night.  Then, His words were clear. “Where is your faith?” I sensed Him say.  I stopped struggling and asked, “Why, why does it have to be so hard?”

No answer.

God uses hardships, disappointments and failures to strip our self-reliance away so that we will put our trust in Him alone.   Sometimes the process is grueling.

At the close of Jesus’ sermon on the mount He said,  ”Therefore whoever hears these sayings of Mine and does them, I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on a rock: and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on the house; and it did not fall, for it was founded on the rock.

But everyone who hears theses sayings of Mine, and does not do them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand: and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it fell. And great was its fall.”

The storms, floods and winds will beat on our house, but we will not fall.   He is always faithful.

Sometimes it’s good to be awakened in middle of a storm and listen. Listen to what you can’t normally hear. You know, the deep things- things you can’t hear on a quiet, calm night.

New Year’s resolution:  Memorize Jesus’ Sermon on the Mount (Matthew chapters 5-7). He says that for those who hear His sayings and do them they will not fall when the floods come  and winds blow and beat on our house.

Comments

I fully agree with your story of just resting in the Lord and listening in the midst of the storms of life. It does promote the dependency on the Lord that He wants for us to cling to Him and nothing else. Self is decreased and the Lord is increased in our lives as we grow in faith and knowledge of the Lord Jesus. This process brings transformation and a life lived fully for His glory. The analogy to the foundation being built on the Rock is so important to utilize in every endeavor we undertake.

• Anonymous says:

Kathy, isn’t resting in The Lord so much easier than trying to conquer a storm that is so overwhelming at times that we wonder WHY? I am thankful for hearing Sharon’s testimony when she was awoken from the storm and talked to Him. See how God loves His children in asking, where was your faith? Life today has so many trials and tribulations, it would be so much easier if we would have true faith, putting things in God’s hands immediately! Let’s make a pact as women of faith to build our house on a nice firm rock and not of sand. God bless you and this ministry. Please join me in praying for Sharon and her family as they go through health issues with her father n law. She has lifted so many people up, it is time for us to lift her up. Love in Christ.
      Elizabeth xo

2. Ruth Skinner says:

Hello Sharon

I live up in the Toronto area and two weeks ago we had an ice storm. Although there were many power outages and terrible devastation I was reminded of the words of Job,”by the breath of God frost is given: and the breadth of the waters is straightened. Out of whose womb came the ice? And the hoary frost of heaven, who hath gendered it?” We have an awesome God who gives us such a show of his power to remind us of His majesty and the beauty of His creative power. It really can be scary but we know that the angel of the Lord encamps round about those that fear Him. The beauty of the ice gave me thoughts of the gems mentioned in Revelation. Thank you for your post it was great.

God bless you.

3. Mary T says:

Sharon, we had a snowstorm here last night. I spent the night at my house where my daughter, Tara lives with my two grandsons, Andrew, 6, and Shamus. 2. Andrew is medically fragile and I knew the nurse would not be able to get there. I love sleeping over with my boys anyway! We prepared and hunkered down for the storm. The snow fell and the winds blew and as I lay awake still at 2:30 reading all of the Proverbs31 ladies’ blogs, I looked up at my Jesus and just thanked Him for our warm house and safety, for being my rock and my refuge. I have had nights like the one you had but last night was calm and peaceful even as the storm raged on. Just wanted to share my storm story as this post brought me back to that peaceful feeling.

4. Such precious thoughts Sharon. Yes, fierce storms are faith strengtheners for sure. It’s interesting to note also that storms come to both the fragile and firm homes…the weak and the well-established. The foundations will prove the outcome….founded on Christ.

This post also delighted me as it ties in so well with our discipleship theme! Those who are obedient, are disciples. Can’t wait to hear the messages on discipleship you are going to share…4 weeks today!!!! EXCITED!!!

Love you and praying for you,

• Thank you Joy! I can’t wait to be with you in CANADA soon! Maybe it will snow when it’s time for me to leave and I’ll be snowed in with you! Of course no snow until it’s over!

• Well…I’d love that!!! Definitely would enjoy the extra time to visit. That would be God’s “above and beyond what you can ask or imagine.” It would have been great to have you at church with me Sunday morning…the worship is amazing! Hee hee…should I start praying for snow starting around noon Saturday? :-) I know you want to return to family too, so I’ll refrain from asking God to keep you here…but if He chooses to…well…. *smile*.

5. Debbie Smith says:

You were very wise to seek God in the midst of the storm. When I have not sought Him and have allowed the sounds of the storm to invade my thoughts, I lay awake in fear. i.e, When I lived on the top of a hill in Arizona, our house would get hit with strong winds and sand quite often. There were nights I would lie in bed with a sound machine next to me that I would use to try and drown out the outdoor screams….as loud as it could go…but it would still not block out the shrill screams from the wind hitting our house. Yet, as I began to think about God, to cry out to Him, His peace washed over me like a flood and I relaxed and was able to sleep.
    Because of the location of our house there in Arizona, I was able to see the entire western slope of the Santa Catalina mountain range as they headed from north to south. There were many storms that would form within my sight. I spent countless times watching the power of God as the clouds gathered and literally poured across the mountain tops and cascade down on the desert floor. I have found that His mighty power is magnified during times such as these…both visually and deep within my own soul.

6. “Sometimes it’s good to be awakened in middle of a storm and listen.”

Great metaphor for life. We can often learn more during the various storms.

I’ve visited here a few times but don’t remember if I’ve ever commented. You have a good blog.

7. The storms will come, that’s for sure. Another blog today reminded me of making sure our anchor is secure. Peter did fine till he took his eyes off his Master. If only we would set our faces like a flint, and remember he is in the boat with us. So much easier to talk about it than do it. Appreciated this post.

8. Kelly Reece says:

Thankful for the truth you wrote! Needed to hear it! & sensing the same phrase: “where’s your faith?”

Blessings!!!!

9. A brief note on Memorizing Matt 5-7. I heard God whisper this to me through this post. He confirmed that whisper today. I just LOVE HIM!

Thank you for these words, another little reminder from God that we are not alone. One friend’s divorce was final two days before Christmas, another friend’s wife told him on New Year’s Day that she filed for divorce, and last Friday my husband was told after 18 years that he was being let go from his job. He was wrongly accused with no opportunity for a rebuttal. To say we are not in the middle of a storm would be a lie. The screeching of the tree against our hearts, the cold frigid air of the destruction the evil one brings for us is enough to shake us from our moorings. However, I will NOT be moved. Jesus comes that we may have Life, God promises that He will give back the years the locusts have eaten, He is our Rock and our Redeemer.

So I am waiting, listening, and praying.