Chicken & Dumpling Casserole- (Gluten Free)

drying flowers, hannah's house, chicken casserole, gnoii 132Chicken & Dumpling Casserole

1 chicken

1 onion

3 carrots

water and salt

Dumplings

2 cups of self-rising flour (I use gluten free baking mix)

¼ cup butter, melted (more is always better)

¼ lb cheddar cheese, shredded

2/3 cup buttermilk ( you can substitute w/ homemade plain yogurt)

2 eggs, beaten

1. Cook chicken in water with 1 diced onion, three chopped carrots and salt to taste.  Cook for 2-6 hours depending on how tender you want or how long you have. Take chicken out of broth, take skin off and debone. Shred chicken. Save carrots.
  2. Mix all ingredients for dumplings and set aside.
  3. Grease 9 X 13 baking dish. Evenly distribute shredded chicken and saved carrots into dish. Pour 2 ½ cups of chicken broth on top. Add salt to taste. Pour dumpling mixture on top in mounds and  spread evenly.
  4. Bake in 350 degree oven for 40 min’s or until dumplings are fully baked on top.
  5. To freeze: Bake, let cool and wrap tightly- put in freezer. Let thaw and reheat on low heat. Sometimes I freeze it unbaked. If you do that, let it thaw and then bake 40 min’s are until done.

Comments

1. Hope Reyes says:

I do not have guest over because I do not have nice things and my house is not as nice as other people who live around here. They have amazing homes and have wonderful dishes I don’t even have a set of dishes that match. I have 5 large plates and I am thankful for that. I love to entertain but I am embarrassed and I don’t know how to dress my table. My mother never did that sort of thing. I want to learn to be a host and treat people like royalty when they are in my home. Teach me.

• I get a LOT of my dishes from thrift stores or antique shops. Just this week we took one of our daughters to a thrift store to buy her birthday present. She picked a beautiful china set for her gift, it was only $26. It had cups, saucers, dessert and dinner plates with the set.

I’ve gotten almost all my small electric appliances from thrift stores. I usually visit a thrift store once a week. It might take 8 visits before I find the buy I’m looking for. rarely do I spend more than 3 dollars on an item. Almost all my clothes are from thrift stores too. It is amazing what you can do on a small budget.

There have been times I serve pancakes to guests, because that’s all I can afford to make.
      Blessings and big hugs!

• Victoria says:

It is not what is on the table…it is who is around it. Your true friends will appreciate your efforts whether they are on fine china or paper plates. It is the love with which you host that outshines any fancy table setting.

Sharon is right–Goodwill and stores like BIG LOTS have great deals on everything from plates to pots and pans. And Goodwill is a great place for other things–once, at Goodwill, I bought a very expensive blouse with the tags still on it for 25 cents!! And, in my town, there are certain days of the week where you can get 50% at Goodwill.

• Cyndie Kottkamp says:

I love that! You are a kind and wonderful woman!!

• Cyndie Kottkamp says:

You are putting way too much pressure on yourself!! True friends don’t care about the things you mentioned. And, you don’t need matching dishes!! In fact, it is really fun for everyone have different dishes, silverware and glasses. It becomes an eclectic, interesting table that way! Dim your lights, light a bunch of candles, bring in some greenery and flowers from your yard and put them in whatever little glasses you have and viola! you have ambiance!! People don’t care what your house looks like. They will just be thrilled to have a night out with friends and not have to cook! You can transform the most meager home into a beautiful and welcoming happy place for your friends with things you probably already have laying around. An easy and inexpensive dinner that will feed a lot is grilled chicken (you can cut the breasts in half) with pasta and a simple tomato basil sauce. Add a tossed salad and you are good to go!

• Treating people like royalty does not have to be done with nice dishes, etc. About 2 years go, I started having my old college roommate over for dinner every Wednesday night for a “Girls Night In”. My husband works a night shift and she has no children. So, this works for us. We have found it is a good opportunity for both of us to visit and enjoy each other’s company. It started with paper plates and simple meals. Now, I search each week for something new to try that I know she’ll like. In the beginning, we used paper plates and plain glasses. Over time I’ve been able to add a few serving items. I have found that buying white serving pieces at Target when they go on sale has been a good investment. White works for most every occasion. Then after each holiday is over, I look at my regular grocery store for the 70% seasonal serving items. The day after Halloween is a great time to find even generic Fall items that will work for Thanksgiving as well. But, most of the time, I bring the food to the table in the dish it was cooked in and focus on entertaining my guest by giving her my full attention and showing her love.

• Carol says:

As others have said, Hope, people care about how you made them FEEL, not what they ate or what they ate it off of. Give it a try, and I think you will be encouraged!

Hospitality is more about attitude than anything.

And, consider asking God to bring an older woman into your life that can mentor you personally.

2. Joanne Peterson says:

Thank you for the gluten free recipe. We recently found out my husband is gluten intolerant, and has to stay away from dairy, refined sugar, beef and pork, and caffeine. I am in the steps of learning how to cook and bake differently. We already have been eating from scratch and whole foods, but this has been a challenge. This looks delicious, and I’m certain will taste delicious. I already know I can substitute olive oil for the butter, and almond milk with vinegar for the buttermilk. It won’t taste the same as the tang of buttermilk or yogurt, and the creaminess of butter. But, I can tell this comfort food will be yummy and appreciated!

Thank you Sharon for this encouragement! The more I “go against the grain” of my discomfort regarding worn counters and floors, a very busy schedule and all that goes with that etc. etc… and just have folks over anyway the more I find I look forward to it! I find that most people actually feel more comfortable with me now because they know my life isn’t perfect- they relax and just enjoy themselves…nothing compares with that! (although I wouldn’t mind being able to fix things up- at this point it seems God wants to do things differently) 🙂

4. Joyce says:

Dear Hope,
    My Mother had a very small home that was filled to the brim with her favorite things. Her back door was always opened to the smell of homemade biscuits, peanut butter cookies or a pot of mustard greens cooking on the stove. Drop-in guests were a daily thing due to the “You are welcome here” attitude she had. Now that she is gone, I often hear others say how much they enjoyed going to her home to visit her while she shared her hospitality by showing her latest sewing project, mainly quilts or pillow tops, or a story from the past as they enjoyed food for the body and spirit. She never worried about how her house looked or if it was big enough, she simply opened her doors and enjoyed people. Guests were never an interruption but an opportunity for her. Although she has been with Jesus for almost 10 years, she is remembered in our community. No one ever commented about her small house with the worn out floors or mismatched furniture or dishes, but they sure spoke of her love and spirit. Invite your friends over and enjoy them. You will be a blessing to others, I’m sure of that!

5. Paula says:

Cook the chicken for 2-6 hours? On the stovetop? Just checking….

6. Annie J says:

Well I just made this dish (the gluten free version) for dinner tonight and it was a HUGE HIT here. Thank you for sharing this recipe.

7. Dorothy Joyner says:

Thanx!! I am definitely going to try this GF Recipe!! I have Celiac Disease and though we are relatively new to the whole issue, I have been cooking up a storm. My hubby needs something beyond soups, chili and meat loaf!! It means a lot to find “good” GF recipes!! I’ll let you know how I do!

8. Donna says:

How do you prepare this as a freezer meal? Looks yummy! Also, how long and what temp to cook from frozen?

• Donna, sometimes I bake it before I freeze it other times I’ve frozen it before baking. The key is writing which you did on it! Recently I took a frozen one to the hospital. I was fed it to everyone waiting for our family member who was in surgery. I thought it was baked. It wasn’t. It still worked out. I brought disposable paper bowls and forks. The hospital let us bake it in their oven! I wish I had baked that one! Oh well, it was delicious and comforting to all who ate it. Usually if it is frozen I put it on the counter to thaw hours before dinner and then bake as usual.
      Hope you enjoy this recipe. It’s a staple in my home.

9. Carol says:

It’s so easy to hide behind the “if only I had”, “when I get” or “I’ll do this when” thoughts. Your story was inspiring … guess it’s never to late to start! Thank you.

10. Hi, Sharon!

Love your posts. Just discovered you this morning and I’m a fan. You write on an area that is waaaaay out of my comfort zone, though I have a heart for people. I have always loved the idea of having people in my home–just popping in for a visit or when they’re invited. It has always paralyzed me with fear…and I struggle with clutter and mess. It is overwhelming. I recently quit work with the intention of making my house a home for my family. Now, where and how to start…

Anyway, the reason I wrote: how many chicken breasts would equal one chicken? I don’t do the whole chicken thing.

Thank you for your encouragement and help.

Blessings,
    Susan

• Hi Susan! I’ve never done it with chicken breast alone, but I would do it with four large? The most important part of the casserole is the chicken broth. Would you use already prepared broth and pan fry or bake your chicken breasts? Hugs!