Our Hospital Debt was PAID in FULL

IMG955116 (3) DAle in hospital 2011 mod lighterWinners of aprons announced at bottom of post!

An envelope was taped to our front door.   It was a warrant for us to appear in court for Dale’s unpaid hospital bill.  ( you  should read the story if you’re new to my blog).

The original bill was over $30,000. We had been waiting for the insurance company to settle the claim. Well, they decided not to pay it.  We called the hospital, told them what happened and they graciously lowered our bill by 50%.  But, they were pretty serious about the remaining balance and wouldn’t accept monthly payments.

So, the deal was- pay it by August or we’ll put a lien on your house.  PAY IT NOW was the answer.  Well, naturally we did the same thing you would have done.  We got on our knees and asked God to help and show us an answer.  We didn’t have the money, to say the least.

Every day we prayed, but answers to pay the debt were nowhere in sight.  So, we told God we were willing to sell the farm if He wanted us to get rid of the debt. We resigned ourselves that this may be the only answer.

That afternoon I called a dear friend and asked her to pray for us. The hospital debt wasn’t the only thing I  needed prayer for, we had other issues that were pressing. We talked for 5 minutes and then she prayed the sweetest prayer.

Within 30 minutes after we talked she called me back, I was in my garden.   It sounded like she was holding back tears when she first started to tell me that her and her husband had decided to pay our entire hospital bill!!!  I felt faint.  My head started to get whoozy.  I thought I was going to pass out!

I was in shock. This wasn’t a rich couple. They worked hard for the money they lived on. They weren’t independently wealthy people by any stretch of the imagination. They were people just like you and me, but they were willing to give $15,000 – to help us.

I said,But…“  She said, “Sharon it is our joy to give this. I had felt for several months now that I was supposed to do something for you and couldn’t figure out what He wanted me to do. I had even told my husband about it. Then when you called I knew and so did he.”  They were giving with joy.  She even giggled a couple of times while talking.

When I got off the phone I sat in my garden and cried and prayed.

With tears streaming down my cheeks I kept saying,  “Jesus, who am I that you are so mindful of?”  Never did I ever imagine a person paying off this debt for us!

After I got my composure, I ran into the house to tell Dale. I wish you could have seen his face.  With tears in his eyes, he thanked God and couldn’t stop thanking Him.

They don’t want anyone else to know who gave the money.  They’re humble people not looking for earthly rewards.

These verses are my prayers for this generous couple:

~”He who is generous will be blessed, for he gives some of his food to the poor.” Proverbs 22:9

~”For God is not unjust so as to forget your work and the love which you have shown toward His name, in having ministered and in still ministering to the saints.” Hebrews 6:10

~”Give, and it will be given to you; good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, they will pour into your lap. For with the same measure that you use, it will be measured back to you.” Luke 6:38

Lord, with the same measure they gave, give it back to them one hundred fold- shaken down and running over! Help me to fulfill the call of Christ just like they did for us.  Help me to bear others burdens by Your example on the cross!  In Jesus’ name, amen.

~ “Bear one another’s burdens, and thus fulfill the law of Christ.” Galatians 6:2

Winners of Aprons email me your address! Amie Moore posted comment at 9:01 on 7/8, Jane post 11:23 on 7/7, Lindsey Hislop and another Amie posted on 7/5 at 2:23

Comments

1. Latosha says:

Sharon, I just rejoiced as I read your blog today! Thank you for sharing. My family went through similiar with medical bills and no income coming in at the time. We released our faith and knew God had a plan, although we couldn’t see it. To make a long and powerful story short, the hospital cancelled the debt once we shown proof that we were not able to pay it in full(we paid what we could). We knew God intervened because in the natural, there was no way we could pay it in full. Once again, thank you for sharing and blessings!

2. Courtney says:

Oh, Sharon, what a beautiful story of God’s favor and the prayers of the believers! This morning I have been stressing over some hospital bills of my own. All the doctors’ offices and hosiptal raved about my husband’s insurance. It’s so good that we still have a huge chunk to pay! Right now my husband is the sole provider and I’m at home recovering from surgery. We recently sold one of our vehicles to cut down on cost. We’re also facing possible bankruptcy from all my doctor bills, a house that we can not sell in the city we moved from, and other debts that’s mounting up. But, your story proves God is able! I just need to sincerely pray to God and leave it there. He’s already finding a solution. I just need to be patient and remember He will work it out at the perfect time!

3. Rejoicing with you and also agreeing in prayer for providers of the blessing to be blessed! 🙂 Thanks for sharing your very REAL faith-in-action!

4. Doreen Armstrong says:

You are a faithful servant my friend. God knows your heart and He knows that you do not feel like you own anything , but all that you have is because of His blessings upon you. I know you are very sincere in placing the farm in God’s hands to be used as He instructs. If He wanted you to sell, I know you would have done it with joy in your heart. I’m so glad to hear of the amazing generosity of your friends and the overwhelming power of prayer. Thank you for sharing this amazing story. Keep on blogging!

5. Thurgood says:

It truly is “A Wonderful Life”

6. Sharon – you and this story are so beautiful and inspiring!! Thank you for sharing and encouraging us with this testimony of God’s provision and care!! Rejoicing with you!
    Love ya, Vern

7. Lori Fitzgerald says:

What a wonderful testament to the fact that nothing is too much for God!! 🙂

8. Sheila Null says:

Thanking GOD with you all for precious friends who are lead by the SPIRIT!!!!!

9. Ronnie says:

Oh Sharon;
    What a powerful testament of what an Awesome God we serve!!
    Thank you for sharing with us . Listening to praise music and the lyrics are , “He is worthy to be praised!”
    Blessings;
    Ronnie

10. God’s awesomeness continues to amaze me.

11. Janet says:

Praise God! Isn’t this just a perfect example how He always provides for us. And God bless the couple who was willing to be used as His vessels. This post was just the reminder I needed that He will look after me and my family. Whether it is hospital bills, grocery bills, electricity bills……or whether I just need a hug, He is always there! I will never stop singing His praises, because He is just such an awesome God! Much love to you, Sharon and Dale xoxoxo God bless!

12. Colleen G. says:

AMEN! AMEN! AMEN!

13. Chrissie says:

Beautiful story of redemption. 🙂 God’s blessings on each one today.

14. Sharon,
    Thank you for sharing this. I have been struggling greatly for a while with being a full-time mom at home and living on a single income with the debt we have incurred over the past couple of years. I really wonder if it would be better for our whole family if I went back to work until we paid the debts off. I believe God called me to be home and I believe I am called to have and raise children, but the stress just seems almost more than I can bear at times and it affects my mothering. If you have any wisdom to share, I would gladly hear it. I desperately need prayer.

15. I’m so glad you no longer have this burden.

Since Dale was not at fault in the accident, what was the reasoning for the insurance company not to pay his hospital bills?

Your story is one of many I’ve heard through the years and has motivated me to work hard to help folks understand the Affordable Care Act passed in 2010. Health care should be a right in the United States since we are indeed a Christian nation. Eventually we’ll get to the point in this country where everyone is covered in much the same way as we take Medicare for granted in the delivery of healthcare for seniors.

No one should undergo the stress of unpaid hospital bills in a country as rich as ours.

Tell us how you’re going to pay this huge kindness forward if indeed the woman and her husband do not wish to be paid back.

• Anonymous says:

Indeed the woman and her husband gave with no thought of being paid back…that would have meant it wasn’t a gift!! The woman.

16. Only a couple completely surrendered, listening and obedient would have heard His prompting, and only a couple trusting, waiting and knowing God will provide would have the willingness to surrender all and faith to rest in His decision…even if it meant selling their farm. Why? Because both couples understand it is all His and they know He cares for His own. LOVE this story. The lesson in giving. The lesson in trusting. The lesson in obedience. The lesson in graciously receiving. Both families blessed in different ways. Both families needed the other to make their joy complete. Oh, don’t you love the family of God.

Hugs and love to you Sharon,
    Joy (the Canadian one *smile*)

17. Rhonda de la Morinere says:

Wow, you have no idea what this means to me right now as I have no way to return to work due to my health (pulm. embolisms, systemic lupus, and blood clotting disorders). I can’t wait to go back and read what happened with Dale’s health…please let him know that he is an encouragement to me right now, for this mom who has spent just as much time in the hospital this summer as I have with my babies (18, 11, and 7). God surely can be trusted in our trials. Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you!!!

18. gabyy says:

Absolutely Beautiful!
    I’m the same situation at the moment 🙁
    Please pray for my family.