The High Calling of Motherhood

Heather and her family in front of the barn

I’ll never forget that morning.  I woke up and my spirit quickened within me that I had conceived a baby.  An immortal soul was within my womb.  I jumped out of bed without telling Dale because of course I needed confirmation. I went to the store as quick as I could, got a pregnancy test, and rushed back home. Within minutes it was confirmed what God had already revealed to me- I was pregnant.

I got light-headed and tears filled my eyes over the magnitude of such a high honor.  An immortal soul was within me I repeated to myself.  This is one whose days and eternity I would influence greatly.

Dale was as excited as I.  Our life changed that day.

I knew that when much is given, much is required. So that day I went into intensive training with the Lord. I asked Him to show me how to live in a way that would draw this child to Him; to be pure and holy.  With tears I asked Him to keep this divine awe struck reverence over me all the days of my parenting.

Our first child, Heather was born 30 years ago today.  I can barely type these words right now because I can’t see through the flood of tears.  All 9lb and 3ounces of her, was perfect.  I wept looking at her and I weep over her today- 30 years later.  She is even more perfect today than she was that day. How can this be?

She is the picture of a Proverbs 31 woman.  She is pure and lovely in every way.  She is led by the Spirit of God and is in active pursuit of more of His presence and power every day. Thank You God, You have answered abundantly.

God has been overwhelmingly faithful to give me more than I could ever ask or think in parenting.

He has indeed kept my heart in that divine awe struck reverence toward parenting the immortal soul.

A mother’s day can be long and hard but when we put it into perspective that every day is shaping the destiny and eternity of an eternal soul, what sacrifice is that not worth that?

I pledge to God almighty that until the day I take my last breath on earth I will never ever lose the awe of raising immortal souls.

When I’m 100 years old I expect this passion to be even greater. . .

Proverbs 31:26-31, “She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue. She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: ‘Many woman do noble things, but you surpass them all.’ Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. Give her the reward she has earned, and let her works bring her praise at the city gates.”

Comments

1. How beautiful! I never knew this high calling of motherhood, Sharon. Having lived through a broken childhood (and my mom also living through one), it was very difficult for me to even conceive of being a mother. After the years went by, it was even difficult to physically conceive my daughter. All I can say is that I’ve learned what a redeeming God He really is! He was so patient and kind with me, as I healed and grew into my motherhood. And I am so thankful! Happy birthday to your sweet daughter Heather. Blessings to you, Barb

2. Charlotte Askew says:

Sharon, I only wish that every potential mother in this wonderful universe could read this post. Your love of being a mother and the love you have for your children and husband, burns onto this page. You are a blessed woman because you have been such a blessing to others in your life.

3. Dear Sharon,
    Thank you for the sweetest message. Today is our son’s 31st birthday and I share the same wonderful blessings our God has graced us with as mothers. I also shared your thoughts on Facebook so others may be blessed as well.

4. Veronica says:

I have a daughter of whom I am extremely proud also. She will be 35 this month and she is my youngest rather than my first-born, but she is my only girl. Her conception, unlike her brothers’, was unexpected, but she is living proof that God’s surprises are always just what you need. She grows ever-closer to the Lord, and as a teacher, she in turn influences young lives. I thank God for all my children and, though I have not been a perfect mother by any means, all three acknowledge Him as savior. Praise be to the God Who knew what I needed before I did!

5. Lori Fitzgerald says:

Sharon — As always, your words are precious and bring tears, from the heart, to my eyes!! I am blessed to say that I totally understand what you are saying!! 🙂
    Happy Birthday to your beautiful Heather!! 🙂

6. So beautiful. Honestly…..too precious for words. The picture is lovely. Heather is a treasure….and she is blessed to have such a godly mother (and father). The Lord has honoured your prayers and commitment. My prayers and delight in motherhood mirror yours. What a gift and honour to love and raise an “immortal soul”. Thanks for causing me to pause and thank the Lord again for this privilege.

Happy birthday Heather.
    Hugs,

7. Mary Lou says:

Catching up on some posts. This one really spoke to me. I, too, have loved every moment of being a mom to my precious 16 and 11 year old daughters although I’ve never thought of it in such poetic terms as you expressed. An “immortal soul”–what a precious and thoroughly overwhelming thought. Thank God He is there to help us with this awesome responsibility! I love the way your heart shines through in your writing. Happy belated birthday to your beautiful daughter. What a precious family!

8. Hi Mary Lou I have discovered one of the greatest joys in this life is being a mom! Your words always seem to encourage me! I have three little girls ages 8, 6 and 1 and it is so hard to be a Godly Parent but through your words I am I know that I can be the Parent God wants me to be .

9. Judy S. says:

Sharon, you are so blessed. Thank you for sharing this beautiful experience and legacy of motherhood you have built so beautifully. My mother left such a legacy to my brother and me before she died of ovarian cancer last year. I miss her terribly, feel very lost and alone without her, especially when I’m facing the attacks of the evil one and struggling to do the right thing. I’ve failed so many times and still do at times. So frustrating! Because of this and my negativity, I am not able to be an exemplary mum to my daughter. I feel I’ve failed and am failing still as a mother. She is indifferent to me sometimes and I feel like I’m losing her. She is more attached to her other grandmother, as she takes care of her most of the day while I’m at work. This has caused a big rift between us and a lot of conflict. I don’t know how to get her back. She does want me when I’m around and get back from work, but sometimes my impatience with her and lack of attention cause her to shun me completely then I’m plagued with guilt for not being there for her when she needed me and for being the worst mother ever. I want to teach her everything she needs to know and especially lead her to Jesus. I too prayed that God would help me to be the mother I need to be to her when I conceived her, but I’ve failed and am paying for it very painfully now. I believe God can heal and restore this relationship but again doubt and fear keep me bound and unproductive, a failure. I praise God for the days we do enjoy our time together without strife and she depends on me completely. My heart is so heavy and torn. Please pray.

• Anonymous says:

It’s ironic that you shared about your daughter Heather. The person i’m in conflict with now due to these issues is my mother-in-law, Heather. Please pray much for a total healing in our relationship. I reconciled with her last year, two month before my mother passed away. Things have gone back to square one. Due to her I feel I’m losing my daughter, Sarah. I can’t relate all the details, its difficult and painful is all I can say. I long to be and leave a legacy my daughter can live and some day pass on to her children. She is 5 yrs and 8 months now. She will be 6 in April the coming year. Our bond and relationship is very important to me and I will not tolerate anyone coming in the way and pushing me out. Keep praying.

• Judy S. says: